Civilian Space Station
Fusion Reactors (current)
Solar Array (former)
Generations before the events of Dead Space 2
February 7, 2511
Some time after the station's explosion
Concordance Extraction Corporation
Titan Station (colloquially known as The Sprawl) is a civilian space station built into the last remaining fragment of Titan, one of Saturn's moons and the site of the first planet crack. Titan Station itself encircles the Shard of Titan as a large metropolis, with inner structures such as schools, malls, skyscrapers, and a Unitologist church. Dead Space 2 (and its expansion, Severed), Dead Space (mobile) and Dead Space: Ignition all take place on Titan Station. The population of the station exceeds one million people.
The Sprawl is split into two distinct sectors―Public Sector and Government Sector. Three "crossover tubes" provide transportation between the two, and act as a docking platform for ships. During the events of Dead Space (mobile), Vandal opens the crossover tubes, allowing the Necromorphs from the Titan Mines to enter the Public Sector.
Public Sector takes the form of a large semicircle surrounding the Titan Shard, with large towering buildings and structures on its upper and lower sides (the lower side is known as the inverted city, and the 2 are connected via gravity-adjusting elevators). The most notable structures of this Sector are the Titan Memorial Medical Center, the Titan Heights apartment complex, the Concourse shopping mall, the Cassini Towers apartment complex, the Church of Unitology, the Titan Elementary School, the Solar Array, and the CEC Facility.
Government Sector is located above the Titan Mines, on the Titan Shard. The Government Sector houses a Shuttleport, the EarthGov offices and a research lab, which is being used as a Marker research and manufacturing plant. The facility contains at least one project, Project Telomere, which is most likely responsible for the research into the Gold Marker. Isaac Clarke and Ellie Langford use a drilling machine to breach the Government Sector, allowing Necromorphs in from the Titan Mines.
The first planet crackEdit
Titan, a moon orbiting Saturn, was selected as the site of the first moon harvest (an early form of Planet-cracking). A large colony was established on the surface of the moon to study its geology and prepare it for mining. The moon was successfully cracked and 'harvested', only slightly behind schedule, satisfying the immense resource needs of humanity (who believed their extinction was imminent).
Titan's harvest was halted for unknown reasons before the entire moon was dissasembled, leaving the small shard where the colony had started. As planet cracking became more common, the station experienced rapid growth as it functioned as both a critical research outpost and a way station for deep space mining operatons.
2507 - 2510Edit
Titan Station felt the effects of the Ishimura incident in the years leading up to the events of Dead Space 2, due to the decline of the planet cracking industry. Unemployment rose as mining support services and the CEC posted heavy quarterly losses. The station did experience a small economic boost however, due to grants received from EarthGov's classified scientific research.
- "There are Necromorphs everywhere. Is the entire Sprawl infected?"
- —Isaac Clarke
Over the course of three years after Isaac Clarke was rescued from his escape shuttle, Director Hans Tiedemann and his lead scientists committed Isaac and Nolan Stross to the Medical Center. While committed there, the codes of the Marker were extracted from both of their brains, and using these codes, they were forced by Tiedemann to construct a monumental Marker so he could obtain its power. After its completion, many citizens, especially children, became anxious and violent outbreaks of homicide and suicide were committed like before on the USG Ishimura and Aegis VII.
Although its origin is never actually revealed, the Necromorph infection once again awoke and spread throughout the Sprawl. It is entirely possible that the Church Of Unitology was aware of EarthGov's Marker experiments. They sent unwitting worshipers deep into the mines of Titan where they committed suicide in the presence of the Site 12 Marker's signal that apparently started leaking through the containment shell protecting the Marker, therefore becoming the first Necromorphs. To back up this claim, Vandal from Dead Space mobile was a Unitologist who was aiding in the spread of the infection by releasing the outbreak to spread to the public sector. Also, Tyler can be heard reporting that the Necromorph infection was a success, further substantiating that the Church was fully aware of the relationship between the infection and the Marker.
This theory is heavily hinted upon in Dead Space 2 as Isaac comes across various logs indicating Unitology was responsible for the infection. The infection and Necromorphs spared no one, butchering families and children indiscriminately. Martial law was declared by Director Tiedemann, who also (against previously set protocol for any sort of Necromorph outbreak) ordered the station to begin evacuations; it is unknown how many people actually managed to be evacuated before the Public Sector was declared "lost".
During this time, Isaac Clarke managed to elude Tiedemann's forces, resulting in Tiedemann cutting off power and life support to the entire Public Sector in an effort to deter Clarke from reaching the Government Sector. When this gambit failed due to Isaac reactivating the decommissioned solar arrays for the station, Tiedemann resorted to directing the focused beam of energy from the solar array to slice through all of the connections between the civilian areas of the Sprawl and the Shard, effectively cutting the Sprawl in two.
This once again failed to halt Isaac's progress, who proceeded to use the gravity tethers of the docked USG Ishimura to drag the Shard back towards the rest of the Sprawl, allowing him access. Once on the Shard, Isaac and Ellie Langford managed to penetrate the EarthGov compound via a mining drill, which also allowed the Necromorphs to infiltrate the facility. The mass of invading Necromorphs were able to reach the Marker, triggering a Convergence Event, which was halted at the last moment by Isaac.
In the end, the damage caused to the Sprawl by the massive release of energy from the Marker's destruction, along with all the other damage it had sustained, destabilized the station's reactors, causing a meltdown. The fate of the Sprawl is revealed in the epilogue after the credits, which conveys that the Sprawl was completely and utterly destroyed by the ensuing explosions.
Titan Memorial Medical CenterEdit
- Main article: Titan Memorial Medical Center
A medical facility located in the Public Sector. Isaac awakens here after the facility has been besieged by Necromorphs.
- Main article: Titan Heights
An apartment complex located very close to the medical center. It provides several floors worth of apartments.
Isaac arrives in the complex just as Necromorphs begin attacking. Several innocent civilians are seen being slaughtered as Isaac battles his way to the tram station.
- Main article: The Concourse
A two-story shopping mall located in the heart of the Sprawl. The stores are locked down when Isaac arrives, and the many abandoned shopping bags and pools of blood indicate that the Necromorphs attacked during normal operation hours.
- Main article: Cassini Towers
An apartment complex on Titan Station. Unlike Titan Heights, the Towers seem to be inhabited mostly by Unitologists. In the center of the two apartment wings, there are four statues dedicated to Unitology. One of them is a large Marker statue that stands close to the window, and south of it are three masked Unitologist statues. Behind the three statues is an entrance to the Church of Unitology.
Upon Isaac's arrival, the Towers are covered in graffiti and littered with the bodies of those who had committed ritualistic suicide according to their faith.
Titan Station Church of UnitologyEdit
- Main article: Titan Station Church of Unitology
Titan Elementary SchoolEdit
- Main article: Titan Elementary School
- Main article: Solar Array
The Solar Array used to be Titan Station's main power source until it was replaced by fusion reactors.
- Main article: CEC Facility
- Fuel Core
- Main article: Titan Mines
- Main article: Government Sector
- Marker Lab
- The following below is a list of Titan Station's inhabitants before and during the time of the outbreak.
- Allison Landers
- Alejandro Borges
- Armado Creeg
- Bonnie Worthington
- Brandon Lurrach
- Casey Milham
- Chairman Donovan
- Colonel Victor Bartlett
- Corporal Aleef Shehadeh
- Corporal Colin Price
- Corporal K. Wilson
- Corporal Trevor
- Corporal Kirk Johnson
- Corporal Mikel Vlastnik
- Daina Le Guin
- Doctor Brian Alpers
- Doctor Brooks
- Doctor Heidi Latchford
- Ellie Langford
- Foster Edgars
- Franco Delille
- General Machette
- Hans Tiedemann
- Howard Phillips
- Isabel Cho
- Jay Sizzle
- Karrie Norton (Vandal)
- Kinner Phelps
- Lexine Weller
- Noah Pawling
- Nickolas Kuttner
- Marion Hennen
- Maxmillian Reinhardt
- Officer Hodgkens
- Officer Sarah Andarsyn
- Omar Nayim
- Orderly Gousetis
- Pastor O'Brien
- Patient Three
- Patient Four
- Patient Five
- Patient Six
- Perry Gibeaux
- Private First Class Eric Webb
- Rachel Tatchet
- Xander Sklar
- Sally Hennen
- Samara Yasmin
- Sergeant Fattouh
- Sergeant Gabe Weller
- Specialist Scott Searby
- Tyler Radikov
- Walter Blake
- Vivian Kuttner
- List of logs in Dead Space 2
- Survivor Encounters
- After the events of Dead Space: Extraction, Lexine Murdoch, Gabe Weller and Nathan McNeill set a course for the Sprawl after escaping the Ishimura.
- Based on the dialogue between Gabe Weller and Nathan McNeill at the conclusion of Dead Space: Extraction, it is implied that they had both visited the Sprawl before.
- It is estimated that the Sprawl is well over 60 years old, since it was created after the first Planet crack, which took place before the USG Ishimura was even built.
- The Sprawl is a sovereign nation state, but is still under the jurisdiction of the Earth Government.
- The Sprawl has its own police force.
- Stray comets are routinely captured and used for the water supply on the Sprawl. This is common practice for large stations and ships in the solar system.
- The Sprawl is powered by a nuclear fusion reactor during the events of Dead Space 2, although it was once powered by large solar panel arrays.
- There are many theories as to how exactly the outbreak began on the Sprawl. A very likely possibility is that the Church of Unitology sent unwitting worshipers into the depths of the mines of Titan, close to the influence of the Site 12 Marker, to commit suicide, therefore becoming Necromorphs and dooming the station and its population. This is heavily hinted at by logs discovered by Isaac on his journey, indicating that the Church had a hand in the infection. Another bit of evidence to support this theory is that Tyler in Dead Space iOS reported the Necromorph infection a success, showing the Church was well aware of the virus and its relationship with the Markers. Their motivation was most likely to spread "Glorious Convergence" to the galaxy.
- Cyberpunk author William Gibson's fictional, prototypical dystopian cyberpunk setting for some of his novels and short stories shares the name "The Sprawl".
- In Chapter 6, there is a large poster of Skate 3 in the Holleran transport hub. This is an easter egg, because you can play as Isaac in Skate 3's free-skate using cheats.
- If you look closely at a Dead Space: Aftermath screenshot of the Sprawl, you can see the Ishimura docked on the inside docking terminal, and in the actual movie, you see a Planet-Cracker class vessel leave the Sprawl. The Planet-Cracker may possibly be the USG Castle or one of the other three.
- It's interesting to note that the movie poster 'Kitty Kitty Bang Bang' can also be seen on the USG Ishimura although Dead Space 2 was set at 3 years after the Second Aegis VII Incident.
- The Sprawl is around 11 miles long (it is roughly the length of 11 Ishimuras from one end of public sector to the other).