- "Deus Enim Et Coloniae"
- —Armed Forces motto
The Sovereign Colonies Armed Forces (or S.C.A.F.) was the military arm of the Sovereign Colonies.
- Main article: History of Earth and the colonies
Secession War and Marker ResearchEdit
During the early 2300s, the Armed Forces was engaged in war with Earth Government[note 1]. At this time, the Science Division of the Sovereign Colonies were conducting experiments on Red Markers, copies created from the Black Marker; eventually they discover the signals being perpetuated by their copies come not from the Markers themselves, but from a signal out in deep space .
Faced with flagging public support and dwindling resources, the Sovereign Colonies council approves of an expedition to the planet later known as Tau Volantis. The flotilla is led by Admiral Marjorie Graves, the Science Division's Earl Serrano and the Armed Forces General Spencer Mahad.
As the Armed Forces set up on the planet, precautions to deal with the harsh environment were made. Armed Forces set up a series of ground-based barracks, research facilities and drill sites, under Mahad's authority. Graves and the flotilla remained in orbit, to provide support to the research teams working on the ground.
Serrano and his team identified a massive alien city underneath the base, and began excavation; inside they found frozen specimens of alien origin and a host of Red Markers, varying in size. The Science Division members began their excavation of the Markers, alien artifacts and remains. Dr. Alexei Obauchev began neurological dissections on the aliens, in an attempt to better understand their physiology.
Serrano and his team manage to piece together a number of details about the Machine, aided by the neurological data retrieved from the Rosetta and Nexus specimens. It was the source of the massive energy readings detected from the Markers. Trying to determine how to use the Machine, Serrano and his team created a Codex, a device that would work in conjunction to the machine.
While Serrano and his team worked on building the Codex, conditions at the Armed Forces facilities were deteriorating. Members of flotilla began to exhibit symptoms of Marker influence, including headaches, lack of focus, and hallucinations. The bodies of dead soldiers who experienced the same symptoms were brought aboard the ships for "safe keeping" alongside the artifacts and Markers. Serrano's dig team were affected by the Marker in such a way that they adorned their snow suits with Marker symbols[note 2].
Despite Mahad's misgivings, Graves ordered that the expedition would continue. Soon thereafter, Admiral Graves was sequestered to her quarters under quarantine; she claimed to hear voices telling her to "Turn it off" Mahad declared Graves unfit for duty, and took command of the entire expedition.
Adding situation was a steadily growing hostile organism of unknown origin (later dubbed "Necromorphs" by the Science Division) both within and without the Armed Forces base. Food supplies and rations began running low; desperate and starving, soldiers supplemented their diet with infected flesh. Alexei Obauchev's research on frozen alien samples recovered from Tau Volantis' ice packs, involved intentionally infecting Armed Forces soldiers who volunteered for the project.
- Main article: Scenario Five
The situation spiraling out of control, Mahad and his staff were ordered by the Sovereign Colonies council to eliminate the threats presented by the Markers as per the "first contact" scenario; destroy all research and kill all staff on and off the planet who had ever been attached to the Armed Forces facilities on Tau Volantis.
Dr. Serrano sought refuge in the alien complex beneath the base, discovered a terrible truth about the nature of the Machine; turning it off would lead to the extinction of all life in the galaxy and the restart of the Convergence Event that would complete the dormant Brother Moon above Tau Volantis.
Graves' plea to "Turn it off" was actually a message from the Moon needing to be completed. Serrano, however, believed the aliens intended for the Machine to destroy the moon entirely, stopping the Marker signals that were now spreading throughout human space. Theorizing that the device had to be properly attuned to accomplish this, Serrano prepared to activate the machine himself. However, a busted leg left him immobile.
Without the Codex, Serrano wouldn't be able to complete the process. Desperate, he contacted Tim Caufman and Sam Ackerman, still on the surface, and begged them to recover the Codex from a crashed ship and bring it to the lab. However, Caufman and Ackerman's attempt to reach Serrano were foiled by Mahad who killed them. Purging the Codex of its information, he committed suicide, completing the mission. By June 18th, 2314, all Armed Forces and Science Division crew were dead, the flotilla left in ruins.
Disbanding the Sovereign ColoniesEdit
The combined failure of the Tau Volantis expedition and losing the Secession War to EarthGov, forced the Sovereign Colonies to scuttle its fleet and surrender to EarthGov rule.
All knowledge of the Tau Volantis research conducted by the Sovereign Colonies was lost or destroyed to prevent the infection from spreading, until data archaeologist, Damara Carver, discovered fragmented information almost two hundred years later.
Elements of S.C.A.F.Edit
The Armed Forces flotilla was tasked to journey out into deep space to locate the "master signal" being received by the Markers created by the Sovereign Colonies. The flotilla was tasked with numerous military ships and research vessels, all of which were commanded by the CMS Roanoke during the expedition.
- CMS Roanoke ― Heavily damaged; destroyed
- CMS Terra Nova ― Active; status unknown
- CMS Greely ― Heavily damaged; destroyed
- CMS Brusilov ― Heavily damaged; destroyed
- CMS Shackleton ― Heavily damaged; destroyed
- CMS Crozier ― Destroyed during reentry to Tau Volantis.
- CMS Franklin ― Heavily damaged; destroyed
- SK-1P (maintenance craft) ― Active
Known Armed Forces PersonnelEdit
- Earl Serrano
- Admiral Marjorie Graves
- Sam Ackerman
- General Spencer Mahad
- Tim Caufman
- Tucker Edwards
- Valery Dietz
- Laura Engstrom
- Dr. Barton
- Chuck Sekowski
- Charles Sekowski
- Sam Kettle
- Sergeant George Conchran
- Sergeant Lumley
- ↑ Isaac: I've seen a lot of ships but never anything like these.
Norton: That's because the Sovereign Colonies were sore losers. When they lost the Secession War to EarthGov, they scuttled their entire fleet. I'm surprised any survived.
Rosen: What were they doing this far from home anyway?
Isaac: If this is where Ellie went, you can bet it had something to do with the Markers. ---Chapter 3: The Roanoke
- ↑ These insulated suits were worn by a SCAF deep dig team assigned to exhume the darkest secrets of Tau Volantis. Whatever they found locked deep in the ice changed them forever. When they emerged weeks later, they were covered head to toe in strange graffiti and claimed to be “Witnesses to the Truth.”
- ↑ Latin motto, meaning For God and the Colonies
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dead Space 3: Chapter 3: The Roanoke
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 14: Everything Has Its Place: S.C.A.F. Artifact 16
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dead Space: Liberation
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Dead Space 3: Chapter 4: History's Ember
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Dead Space 3: Chapter 9: Onward: S.C.A.F. Artifact 09
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 14: Everything Has Its Place: S.C.A.F. Artifact 15
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 .Dead Space 3: Chapter 14: Everything Has Its Place - Alien Artifact 03, Alien Artifact 04
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 5: Expect Delays
- ↑ S.C.A.F. Artifact 05
- ↑ S.C.A.F. Artifact 06
- ↑ S.C.A.F. Artifact 07
- ↑ Press Release: EA Forecasts the World's Deadliest Winter When Dead Space 3 Releases on February 5, 2013
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 11: Signal Hunting
- ↑ YouTube: Dead Space 3: Scenario Five
- ↑ YouTube: Dead Space 3: Reaper Barracks Mission | Brainwashing video
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 18: Kill or Be Killed
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Chapter 17: A Strange City
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Prologue: Beginnings
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Prologue: Beginnings
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 21.5 Dead Space 3
- ↑ Dead Space 3: Awakened
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 Dead Space 3