|Arctic Survival Suit|
The Arctic Survival Suit is a specialized RIG introduced in Dead Space 3 designed for extremely cold environments. The suit is acquired by Isaac, and subsequently by John Carver, after replacing his damaged suit. There is also a re-skinned iteration as a promotional suit to be given to anyone who pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Dead Space 3 known as the 'Witness' Suit.
The suit is woven with classified SCAF (Sovereign Colonies Armed Forces) synthetic fibers that insulate the body from extreme cold and hypothermic conditions. The fur-like synthetic fibers can be seen on the collar area of the suit. John Carver and Isaac Clarke have similar suit designs, the primary differences being the helmet and coloration.
- This suit is attained through technology leftover from the SCAF expedition 200 years ago, leaving it functional though highly obsolete. Similar to the Vintage Suit from Dead Space 2 however, this does not negatively impact gameplay.
- Wearing this suit before the crash land in Chapter 8 will NOT prevent RIG malfunction and body heat loss. The game scripts that Isaac's helm to malfunctions upon arival to Tau Volantis hence a logical loop where the suit needs to be re-equipped in the suit kiosk.
- As the Arctic Survival Suit is featured in most promotional content, it is the signature suit of Dead Space 3, like the Intermediate Engineer RIG for Dead Space and the Advanced Suit for Dead Space 2.
- The Visceral Games online store refers to this suit as the "Cold Suit".
- The visor on the helmet resembles the Advanced Suit's visor.
- Body temperature plays a role in Dead Space 3, similar to oxygen in a vacuum. This no longer becomes a problem once Isaac obtains this suit, although afterwards any suit may be worn with no danger from cold exposure (possibly because Isaac was able to repair his helmet malfunction at the same time).
- Although this suit was only designed to provide insulation and prevent hypothermia, It can still protect the user from the vacuum of space and is equipped with thrusters, although it is likely this is just for gameplay purposes, similar to the Hacker Suit from Dead Space 2.
- Carver's variation is largely a red version of Isaac's Archaeologist Suit while his own Archaeologist Suit resembles Clarke's Arctic Survival Suit.
- This suit is Isaac`s default costume in Play Station All Stars Battle Royale.
Dead Space 3: Chapter 08