Date of death:
June 18, 2314[note 1]
|Chronological and political information|
- "Jesus, Caufman! This is hopeless!"
- —Sam Ackerman
Private Sam Ackerman was a soldier of the Sovereign Colonies Armed Forces present during the Necromorph outbreak on Tau Volantis in 2314. He serves as the Co-Op partner to Tim Caufman in the prologue of Dead Space 3.
- "Follow the waypoint? We've been following it for three hours and ain't found squat!"
- —Sam complaining about the mission
Before the events of Dead Space 3Edit
Sam Ackerman was assigned to the 41st Engineering Unit located on the S.C.A.F. colony of Tau Volantis, in support of the archaeological and research operations there. During the events of the Necromorph outbreak across the colony, Sam and other survivors set up a defensive perimeter in facility RS-9, convinced that they could wait out the outbreak within the safety of the bunker.
After Sam and his unit cleared the bunker of Necromorphs, they piled the bodies and began to prepare defenses. It was not long, however, until Sam noticed that the group's rations had all but spoiled, leaving them with no source of food. It was then suggested by one of the other survivors that they eat the Necromorph flesh left over from the fighting in order to keep them alive. Sam knew it was not a good idea, and decided to stay away from the rest of the group while they ate the tainted meat. While the soldiers began to transform into emaciated Necromorphs from consuming the infected flesh, Sam hid and avoided them for three days despite the infected sniffing him out at least once.
Sam managed to barricade himself into a communications room near the bunker's elevator while his former comrades begged him to let them in so they could eat or infect him. Sam desperately tried to send out a distress call, looking for anyone still alive in the colony. His transmission was responded to by Dr. Earl Serrano, who asked him to link up with Private Tim Caufman on his mission to retrieve the Codex.
Events of Dead Space 3 Edit
Sam meets up with Tim before they both press forward to collect the Codex for the doctor. When their search turns up nothing after 3 hours, Sam expresses his lack of faith in the mission and thinks nothing they do will really stop the outbreak. Despite his constant complaining, Caufman presses forward. Caufman and Sam follow Serrano's waypoint up a mountain to a crashed ship, the CMS Mule. Despite being attacked by the infected members of the ship, they manage to locate and secure the codex. The Mule suddenly starts to explode from damage sustained during its crash, forcing Tim and Sam to rappel down the cliff from the ship. The ship breaks apart, causing debris to rain down on the two soldiers, before also severing their rappel lines, sending them tumbling down the mountainside dodging the falling debris. Despite initially dodging most of the flaming wreckage, including a piece of the ship's engines, Sam is eventually killed by the falling debris near the bottom of the cliff.
Tim is then executed by General Mahad moments later, who purges the Codex's information and then kills himself, believing they truly lost their colony to the Necromorphs, failing the companions' mission, at least until the next 200 years.
Sam is foremost a cynical soldier. He claims that the mission for the Codex is hopeless, that both he and Tim Caufmen are too inexperienced for the mission, and when they find ammo he snarks that at least they can shoot one another before they freeze to death. He also appears to be very resourceful and determined as he managed to survive at least 3 days trapped in a confined bunker, hiding from his infected comrades (who probably also included several more experienced soldiers), while having little to no food, before embarking on the mission to find the Codex.
- Both Sam and Tim Caufman are equipped with Legionary Suits and S.C.A.F. Bullpup Rifles.
- Like Tim, Sam wears an anachronistically-advanced RIG for the time period, has no Stasis or Kinesis module, and borrows his movement pattern from an existing character (in this case Carver). He also shares RIG upgrades with Carver.
- Though Tim does not curse when stomping for an extended period, Sam does. His cursing voice is similar to that of John Carver's, albeit quieter, as if he was mumbling to himself.
Despite the introduction scene showing Ackerman (if playing co-op) with his helmet down in the middle of a snowstorm, his body temperature does not decrease, nor a meter appear behind his back.
- Outside of co-op mode, Sam is never physically seen, unlike Tim and Carver, though his audio logs and history can still be found by the player.
- Unlike Isaac and Carver, Sam's Legionary Suit is visually identical to Tim's except for the red visor glow and the blue health line.
- When Isaac enters the bunker where Sam and his group of survivors were staying, Isaac can find audio logs that show the different events that Sam experienced, like how he saw the other survivors turning into Feeders.
- ↑ The subtitle at the bottom of the prologue's opening reads June 18, 2314.