Power Nodes are uncommon items that can be found scattered around the environment. They can also be purchased at the Store for 10,000 credits, but cannot be sold back. They can be used to upgrade player equipment, or to unlock "emergency supply rooms" which contain random items.
Power Node locations are much more varied in Dead Space 2. Scouring large environments, such as Zero-G sectors, often pays off with Nodes whose locations are otherwise easily missed.
- Power Nodes can be used to upgrade equipment by finding a Bench. Using the Bench activates an Upgrade Interface, which has an entry for each weapon contained in the user's inventory, as well as the RIG and Stasis module. Each entry contains a "tree," a specific arrangement of slots unique to each entry. Each slot requires a Power Node to be "welded" into place. This fills that slot. Once a slot is filled with a Power Node, it unlocks all adjacent branches and slots. Some slots increase the performance of the item, while others are simply required to progress further along the tree.
- Power Nodes can also be used to unlock emergency supply rooms. Supplies inside can include Medical Packs, ammunition, schematics, recordings, credits, valuable semiconductors, etc., and even up to two Power Nodes in some cases.
The value of the contents of the supply rooms is normally far greater than the cost (10,000 credits) of a Power Node, though there may be rooms where the value is less. If possible, save before entering a supply room so that you can reload if the contents were not worth the Power Node used.
- Power Nodes are found much more frequently in Dead Space 2, with some chapters yielding up to 4, and Chapter 1 yielding 5.
- Upon completing the game in the original Dead Space one is rewarded with 10 Power Nodes when starting a New Game+, although this feature is not present in Dead Space 2.
- In the original Dead Space, Power Nodes are dropped by Brutes when killed.
- Although Power Nodes cannot be sold, upgrading a Plasma Cutter will increase its price for selling by 5 000 for each Node. Another Cutter can by then bought for 0 credits.