The Marker Symbols are a set of symbols produced by the Markers. Included among the graffiti scattered throughout the USG Ishimura and the Sprawl, the Marker script was readily apparent. As Isaac's dementia set in, he began to hear the symbols whispering to him. He even mentioned this in the Dementia Trailer. The symbols represented DNA which was why the Marker was a double helix with these symbols on it representing the DNA of the Necromorphs.
- Marker Symbols are commonly mislabeled "Unitology Symbols" because of it's strong association and use with Unitology.
- Most of the symbols that are written all over the walls in the Ishimura seemed to mostly be written in blood, though some are written in Marker pen.
- In Dead Space: Martyr, Hennessy became increasingly insane the closer that he came to the Black Marker after he killed his co-pilot, Dantec. The Symbols flashed in his head and he was overwhelmed with the urge to write them down and he used the only thing that he had was the blood of Dantec once the entire sub was covered. He used all of Dantec's blood and all of the wall space so he was forced to use his own blood and body to finish the Symbols. He died shortly after.
- In Dead Space 2, it was revealed that both Markers revealed codes that gave information on how to create more Markers. This was how the Marker on the Sprawl was made. Kinner Phelps, a scientist who worked on the creation of the Sprawl Marker speculated that the Markers, starting with the Black Marker are actively manipulating the humans into making Marker copies, but this was not known for certain.
- Also in Dead Space 2 according to Daina, the Marker's hallucination defense created a self replicating signal to an afflicted person's mind which would eventually kill them. This would mean that even after a Marker was destroyed, the person would die. This possible lethality of the hallucinations could be a ruse though as Daina actually had no interest in curing Isaac's mind, but based on the game, it seemed likely. Another likely possibility was that the hallucinations are being caused by the new Marker considering that as the Marker seemed to be becoming more aware of Isaac's actions to destroy it, the more dangerous that the hallucinations became. This also explained the actions of the 2 separate Markers from the first and second games. If the Markers are sentient, they could either choose to generate Necromorph outbreaks or suppress them. What this meant was that the first Marker only wished to stop the outbreak while Isaac's dementia was a side effect of it's contact with Isaac. The second Marker had different plans however and actively used his dementia to hamper him.
- In Dead Space 2, if you panned the camera up from the main menu, there would be some Marker symbols written in the top left corner above the image of the Marker. The text translated to:
"In the end, it all
came down to
just one little
- In Dead Space 2, if you panned the camera down from the main menu, there would be some Marker symbols written in the bottom right corner. The text translated to:
"Unity after death,
It was not clear if this text was a continuation of the text in the top left or a separate message.
- Ellie Langford wore a bracelet in Dead Space 2 that bore the word "LIFE" in Marker Script.
- During Hans Tiedemann's last main appearance in Dead Space 2, one could see that he had Marker Symbols on his burned forehead which spelled "PAIN".