Magpie is the name of any and all illegal miners in the known galaxy. They are only mentioned and seen in DS: Salvage.
- Hunter's Moon crew
- Captain Jessica Li, the de facto leader and "people person" who runs a tight crew. Li quit the Marines after an embezzlement scandal surfaced that was rumored to involve several million dollars.
- Stefan Schneider, the second-in-command who can only be kept in line by Capt. Li. Schneider gained a deep mistrust of all authority after his legitimate mining business went under from CEC's meddling and EarthGov's capitulation.
- Wenbo, an engineer
- Thorssen, a pilot
- Black Beak crew
- Captain Benedykt Malyech, a former CEC supervisor and practicing Unitologist. Malyech was fired from CEC for breach of contract after disclosing corporate secrets to the media.
- Julia Copland, the second-in-command and a lifelong criminal and scam artist. She turned to freelance mining as a way to hide out from the law, and found the culture suited her demeanor.
- Venschiff, a pilot
- Gottheddir, an engineer
- Sunset crew
- Captain Gatura Okeke, the resident gearhead and moderate Unitologist. As a commercial pilot, Okeke was fired for insubordination.
- Liberté crew
- Captain Bellevin, a lifelong magpie who knows the risk-reward ratio of freelance mining better than anyone.