Colony ship to Borealis
|Chronological and political information|
- "Uhh... Call me Vandal."
- —Karrie Norton
Actions on the SprawlEdit
Karrie Norton was selected for a secret assignment by the Church of Unitology aboard Titan Station. Shortly after arriving in the Government Sector, Karrie is told by Tyler Radikov, her contact that her code name is "Vandal" and under no circumstances she should tell anyone her real name. Her voice filter will keep her anonymous if she should meet anyone during the mission.
Shortly after, Karrie is given the task of vandalizing several power boxes in multiple rooms throughout the core system of the station which would disable communications and cut off the power in certain areas throughout the Sprawl. While doing so, Karrie asked Tyler why he had her doing her particular objectives. Tyler told Karrie that she is "not authorized to know that."
Upon completion of the task, the first Necromorphs began to appear. Karrie is directed to a tram and told to get to another Sector. On the way, Karrie received a RIG message from Daina Le Guin, telling her that she just unleashed the Necromorphs aboard the Sprawl and her death will be "glorious." Karrie then told Daina that the Church will pay for what they did.
Karrie received a message from an outraged Director Hans Tiedemann, telling her that he traced several acts of sabotage to her RIG. Karrie explained that she was unaware that completing the tasks given to her by the Church would cause harm to the Sprawl. She would attempt to fix the mess that unfolded. Tiedemann ordered Karrie to restore power to the quarantine seals on Crossover Tube A which Karrie hesitantly agreed.
Afterwards, Karrie received a message from Tyler. Karrie is hesitant to trust him, believing that he left her for dead. Tyler explained that he was unaware of the Church's plans and they should work together to get off the Sprawl. Karrie agreed to continue working with him. Tyler then told Karrie to continue through the Government Sector Underbelly to get to the Mines.
With both Tiedemann and Tyler helping her, Karrie is given the task of locking down the doors to the Sprawl. But in order to do so, Karrie must make her way through several Sectors. Karrie finally arrived at her main objective and shut off the power. Upon doing so, she learned that Tyler tricked her into locking the doors in the open position across the Sprawl so the Necromorphs could reach the Public Sector. Karrie received a message from an outraged Tiedemann telling her to make her way to the reactor core to prevent a meltdown. When Karrie arrived, she found a giant Necromorph wrapped in and around the core.
Near the end of the battle with the creature, Karrie is wounded when it tried to pull her down below the core. Karrie, now without her helmet managed to escape. Too injured to move, she slumped down to the ground. She tried contacting Tiedemann with the news, success and help, but received no reply. Some time later, we saw only Karrie's helmet on the ground with a trail of blood from where she was originally lying down.
- The following below are just a few examples of hallucinations experienced by Karrie Norton throughout Dead Space iOS.
At many points throughout her time on the Sprawl, Karrie experienced hallucinations from the influence of the Marker. These hallucinations included:
- The lights to a room went out. The lights flashed on for a moment and the room is filled with Necromorphs - mostly Slashers. Then, the lights flashed back off, then on again with all of the Necromorphs gone.
- Seeing several dead bodies and Unitologist graffiti written in blood on the walls after the lights flashed off and on.
- Karrie imagining herself to be a Slasher, for a moment and then turning back into herself.
- Karrie, at one point saw a reflection in the distance and called out to it with no answer. While approaching the 'reflection,' it quickly turned into a Slasher and attacked Vandal.
- At one point, Karrie mentioned to Tyler that she is feeling "exhausted." A short while later, Karrie made her way down a very long hallway. While running down the hallway, the image of what appeared to be a red-eyed Necromorph of some type (Possibly a Slasher) appeared on the screen. While Karrie did not mention or acknowledge this in any way, it is clearly visible. The Necromorph as it is mentioned above also appeared to have long hair.
- Seeing several bodies and Unitologist graffiti written in blood on the walls after the lights flashed off.
- Some 'episodes' even included Karrie fighting more than one Brute.
- However, the most dramatic hallucination was when Karrie imagined seeing a white Marker in a desert.
- Anna Vocino provides the voice of Karrie. Anna Vocino is also credited in Dead Space 2, as an additional voice talent.
- To date, Karrie is the first, and only known female protagonist of a third-person Dead Space title.
- Karrie's RIG number is 438642, as stated early in the game.
- It's only revealed at the end of Dead Space iOS that Vandal is female.
- Karrie Norton's name is only revealed at the end of the game.
- "Vandal" is a reference to the acts of vandalism Karrie commits in the Government Sector.
- Karrie creates several Audio recordings throughout the game. Often expressing her sorrow, or just detailed situation reports.
- Karrie is seemingly unaffected by the Corruption, as she can walk and run normally as if it wasn't there. This is probably just an oversight by the developers.
- Interestingly, Karrie spots Unitologist banners in Chapter 11 with a white Marker in a desert with the caption "Join us in paradise".
- In Dead Space 2, Isaac is able to find two audio recordings made by Karrie Norton, one of which relays the statement made at the beginning of Dead Space (Mobile). Notably, the other log, which was apparently made while en route to the overheating reactor, is found floating next to the eviscerated remains of a body which appear to have been a human female; the aforementioned conditions in which the log is found, combined with the fact Norton notes that was her final log, may indicate she was killed after the events of Dead Space iOS.
- After Karrie defeats The Boss, one can notice that if the player has conserved enough health, Karrie's RIG will be in normal health. Ironically, she will relay to Tiedemann that she is badly injured. However, her RIG may be malfunctioning as it violently got smacked into the reactor core as Karrie seemingly plummeted to her death.
- In Dead Space 2, upon arriving inside Howard Phillips quarters following a main objective, you'll approach a bird's cage. To the left, a sort of lounge area and a landscape picture of what seems to be said 'White Marker.'
- Although she shares the same last name with Dead Space 3's Robert Norton, there is nothing to suggest the two are related.
- Vandal is similar to Samus Aran of the Metroid series, as they are both female protagonists of games set in space and both wear a powered suit to hide their true identity and gender until the end of their respective games, at which point they will remove their helmets (whole armor in Samus's case) to reveal their faces.