Colony ship to Borealis
|Chronological and political information|
- "Uhh... Call me Vandal."
- —Karrie Norton
Actions on the SprawlEdit
Karrie Norton was selected for a secret assignment by the Church of Unitology aboard the Titan Station; shortly after arriving in the Government Sector, Karrie is told by Tyler Radikov, her contact, that her code name is "Vandal" and under no circumstances should she tell anyone her real name. Her voice filter will keep her anonymous if she should meet anyone during the mission.
Shortly after, Karrie is given the task of vandalizing several power boxes in multiple rooms throughout the core system of the station - which would disable communications, and cut off the power in certain areas throughout the Sprawl. While doing so, Karrie asks Tyler why he has her doing her particular objectives. Tyler tells Karrie that she is "not authorized to know that."
Upon completion of the task, the first Necromorphs begin to appear. Karrie is directed to a tram and told to get to another Sector. On the way, Karrie receives a RIG message from Daina Le Guin, telling her that she has just unleashed the Necromorphs aboard the Sprawl and that her death will be "glorious." Karrie then tells Daina that the Church will pay for what they've done.
Karrie receives a message from an outraged Director Hans Tiedemann, telling her that he has traced several acts of sabotage to her RIG. Karrie explains that she was unaware that completing the tasks given to her by the Church would cause harm to the Sprawl. She would attempt fix the mess that has unfolded. Tiedemann orders Karrie to restore power to the quarantine seals on Crossover Tube A., to which Karrie hesitantly agrees.
Afterwards, Karrie receives a message from Tyler. Karrie is hesitant to trust him, believing he left her for dead. Tyler explains that he was unaware of the Church's plans and that they should work together to get off of the Sprawl. Karrie agrees to continue working with him. Tyler then tells Karrie to continue through the Government Sector Underbelly to get to the Mines.
With both Tiedemann and Tyler helping her, Karrie is given the task of locking down the doors to the Sprawl. But in order to do so, Karrie must make her way through several Sectors. Karrie finally arrives at her main objective and shuts off the power. Upon doing so, she learns that Tyler tricked her into locking the doors in the open position across the Sprawl so the Necromorph infection could reach the Public Sector. Karrie receives a message from an outraged Tiedemann telling her to make her way over to the reactor core to prevent a meltdown. When Karrie arrives, she finds a giant Necromorph wrapped in and around the core.
Near the end of the battle with the creature, Karrie is wounded when it tries to pull her down below the core. Karrie, now without her helmet, manages to escape. Too injured to move, she slumps down to the ground. She tries contacting Tiedemann with news, success and help, but receives no reply. Some time later, we see only Karrie's helmet on the ground, with a trail of blood from where she was originally lying down.
- The following below are just a few examples of hallucinations experienced by Karrie Norton throughout Dead Space iOS.
At many points throughout her time on the Sprawl, Karrie experiences hallucinations from the influence of the Marker. These hallucinations include:
- The lights to a room going out, the lights flash on for a moment and the room is filled with Necromorphs - mostly Slashers. Then the lights flash back off, then on again, with all of the Necromorphs gone.
- Seeing several dead bodies, and Unitologist graffiti written in blood on the walls after the light flash off and on.
- Karrie imagining herself to be a Slasher, for a moment, Then turning back into herself.
- Karrie, at one point, sees a reflection in the distance and calls out to it - with no answer. While approaching the 'reflection,' it quickly turns into a Slasher and attacks Vandal.
- At one point, Karrie mentions to Tyler that she is feeling "exhausted." A short while later, Karrie makes her way down a very long hallway. While running down the hallway, the image of what appears to be a red-eyed Necromorph of some type (possibly a Slasher) appears on screen. While Karrie doesn't mention or acknowledge this in any way, it is clearly visible. The Necromorph, as mentioned above, also appears to have long hair.
- Seeing several bodies, and Unitologist graffiti written in blood on the walls after the lights flash off.
- Some 'episodes' even included Karrie fighting more than one Brute.
- However, the most dramatic hallucination was when Karrie imagines seeing a white Marker in a desert.
- Anna Vocino provides the voice of Karrie. Anna Vocino is also credited in Dead Space 2, as an additional voice talent.
- To date, Karrie is the first, and only known female protagonist of a third-person Dead Space title.
- Karrie's RIG number is 438642, as stated early in the game.
- It's only revealed at the end of Dead Space iOS that Vandal is female.
- Karrie Norton's name is only revealed at the end of the game.
- "Vandal" is a reference to the acts of vandalism Karrie commits in the Government Sector.
- Karrie creates several Audio recordings throughout the game. Often expressing her sorrow, or just detailed situation reports.
- Karrie is seemingly unaffected by the Corruption, as she can walk and run normally as if it wasn't there. This is probably just an oversight by the developers.
- Interestingly, Karrie spots Unitologist banners in Chapter 11 with a white Marker in a desert with the caption "Join us in paradise".
- In Dead Space 2, Isaac is able to find two audio recordings made by Karrie Norton, one of which relays the statement made at the beginning of Dead Space (Mobile). Notably, the other log, which was apparently made while en route to the overheating reactor, is found floating next to the eviscerated remains of a body which appear to have been a human female; the aforementioned conditions in which the log is found, combined with the fact Norton notes that was her final log, may indicate she was killed after the events of Dead Space iOS.
- After Karrie defeats The Boss, one can notice that if the player has conserved enough health, Karrie's RIG will be in normal health. Ironically, she will relay to Tiedemann that she is badly injured. However, her RIG may be malfunctioning as it violently got smacked into the reactor core as Karrie seemingly plummeted to her death.
- In Dead Space 2, upon arriving inside Howard Phillips quarters following a main objective, you'll approach a bird's cage. To the left, a sort of lounge area and a landscape picture of what seems to be said 'White Marker.'
- Although she shares the same last name with Dead Space 3's Robert Norton, there is nothing to suggest the two are related.
- Vandal is similar to Samus Aran of the Metroid series, as they are both female protagonists of games set in space and both wear a powered suit to hide their true identity and gender until the end of their respective games, at which point they will remove their helmets (whole armor in Samus's case) to reveal their faces.