|Point(s) of Interest:||
The Hydroponics Deck was the USG Ishimura's internal farm which produced the food needed to feed the many workers aboard the ship as well as providing a sustainable production of oxygen. It was typically maintained by horticulturalists such as Elizabeth Cross who monitored the production levels of the food. This Deck came under trouble when the Leviathan grew into Food Storage and began polluting the air.
A massive area, it spanned the entire top portion of the Ishimura's two cargo towers and was divided into 2 primary sections: The multi-level Vegetation Grow Chambers and the centrally located cylindrical Food Storage chamber. Directly before Food Storage was the air quality control and ventilation system. The station in this area featured a large Hologram screen and controls that indicated air production, ventilation and filtration systems.
This was where Isaac encountered Hammond whom appeared weak from breathing in the toxic air. He told Isaac not to take off his helmet.
West Grow ChamberEdit
Inner Greenhouse AEdit
A relatively small room attached to the West Grow Chamber. The air here was poisonous until the Wheezer inside it was killed.
Inner Greenhouse BEdit
A room similar to Inner Greenhouse A. The air inside was poisonous as the room contained another Wheezer.
A machine which could be activated by Isaac via a holographic control panel. Doing so replaced the Grow Chamber's feed, although this served no direct purpose in gameplay. If Isaac checks this unit carefully before activating it, he could find a Large Med Pack to retrieve with Kinesis. He will be able to extract the pack through the small opening near the loading mechanism.
This area contained a small room that was accessible from the second floor of the West Grow Chamber. It too, contained poisonous air due to a Wheezer nestling itself in the area. Outside of the Hydroponics control door is a roof to the left. There are two hidden credit chips - one directly on the roof, and one further back in the plants.
The largest section of the West Grow Chamber, even larger than the main chamber itself. This area consisted of an entry chamber, followed by a dimly lit corridor which led to a series of Zero-G chambers containing two Wheezers.
Air Filtration RoomEdit
The Air filtration area consisted of a large, dark room containing three large tubes, the interiors of which will periodically be ignited as part of the filtration process. There was no space between the tubes and they must be passed through to reach the other side of the chamber. The opposite end of the chamber contained a Wheezer, though the air was only poisonous in a moderately-sized area around it.
East Grow ChamberEdit
Inner Greenhouse AEdit
Inner Greenhouse BEdit
Primary Food StorageEdit
- Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture and is a method that consists of growing plants without soil in water.
- This is where Chapter 7: Life And Death and the beginning of Chapter 8: In the Hearts of Men of Dead Space: Extraction take place. Most of Chapter 7 in Dead Space: Extraction takes place in many rooms (such as a Compost Room, which is where the player fights a Brute) that are inaccessible in Dead Space, as the door that leads to them had been completely covered by The Corruption.
- During Isaac's visit to the hydroponics deck, the West Grow Chamber seems to still be in a functional, healthy state despite the infestation of Necromorphs . The East Grow Chamber, however, has become completely soiled and rotted beyond use.
- An ambience of crickets, monkeys and wildlife sounds can be heard throughout the West Grow Chamber. It is likely that these are likely just simulations. It can also be noted that unique battling music can be also heard when fighting Necromorphs in this area.
- This is where Chapter 6: Environmental Hazard of Dead Space takes place.
- At least two Hydroponics specialists are known: Elizabeth Cross and Catherine Howell.
- The Corruption has spread very far into this part of the ship, since it's home to the Leviathan. It has apparently ruined the Ishimura's entire food supply.
- The Grow Chamber shown in Dead Space: Downfall was larger and held many more plants than the West Grow Chamber in-game. This could mean that it was a different Grow Chamber, as it is unlikely that only two Grow Chambers could feed and give air to the entire ship.
- This is the only place on the Ishimura where you can encounter Wheezers.