Date of death:
|Chronological and political information|
- "Isaac, we're all going to burn for what we did to you...."
Foster Edgars was a Scientist stationed aboard Titan Station.
In the aftermath of the USG O'Bannon crew interrogations, Edgars is present with the Overseer during Isabel Cho's neutralization. Charged with the safekeeping of Nolan Stross, he is later informed of Isaac Clarke's hand in the destruction of Aegis VII and encounter with the Red Marker. He is privy to the subsequent cover up of the Ishimura and Aegis VII incidents later blamed on Dr. Cho.
On Titan Station, Edgars oversees the sessions of both Isaac and Nolan Stross during their implementation in Project Telomere's efforts to construct a Marker in the Government Sector. Edgars appeared to have a say in the frequency of Stross and Clarke's visits to the the machine used to extract the data on the Markers from their brains and the memory suppressants used to keep both patients inert.
Edgars is aggressive with the likes of his patients during their sessions. His tone when questioning them is dismissive and arrogant. During one session with Stross, Edgars assigns the former scientist to another session inside the NoonTech in the face of Stross' protests when he failed to respond in a manner pleasing to Edgars. During a session with Clarke, he interrogates him about his experiences aboard the USG Ishimura and Dr. Nicole Brennan.
During the outbreak, Edgars appears to have lost his mind in the chaos that envelops the Titan Memorial Medical Center and is encountered shortly after Isaac escapes from the psych ward. When Isaac approaches Foster in hopes of getting help, Edgars moves at an alarming speed and puts Isaac in a lock; he holds a scalpel to his throat, muttering hysterically about Hans Tiedemann's order to exterminate the "key subjects" in the facility.
Isaac tries to persuade Foster not to kill him and release him from the straitjacket so they can both get to safety. Foster lets him go and appears to momentarily regain his sanity after noticing Isaac's RIG is in the red. He points Isaac to a cabinet containing a flashlight and a med pack. When Isaac turns to him after obtaining the items, Foster tells the engineer that they're all going to burn for what they've done to him. Without hesitation, Edgars slits his throat slowly with the scalpel, blood spewing everywhere.
Shortly after encountering Edgars, Isaac finds a group of corpses with their throats slit. They all could have been the victims of Edgars' insanity as he was wielding a scalpel at the time of their meeting. During Gabe Weller's attempt to reach his wife Lexine in the psych ward, the security guard comes across Edgars' body in the same place, part of his abdomen missing and his legs stripped to the bone.
- Foster Edgars can be briefly seen in Dead Space: Aftermath before its conclusion.
- Edgars is voiced by Rick Cramer who provides his likeness to the character. Cramer also provides his voice to Abraham Neumann in the Dead Space animated comic.
- During his trek through the hospital in Severed, Gabe comes across Edgars's corpse where he committed suicide a few hours prior. The corpse has severe burn marks all over and the legs have been stripped to the bone. This likely was the work of a Puker which is strange, as normally (non Infector) Necromorphs would ignore dead bodies.[note 1]
- Foster shares the name with a scientist who was part of the team which created the Red Marker.
- Edgars' was the last voice heard in the "Dementia" trailer.
- In Dead Space 2 Foster Edgars is not wearing a RIG when he grabs Isaac this mean either he chose not to wear one or that this is just an oversight of the developers.
- A model of the Ishimura sits on Foster's desk.
- A Rubik's Cube-like object with what appears to be Marker-print and a Rorschach print of the Advanced Suit's helmet from the "Dementia" trailer is also present on the desk.
- If you stand near him, but not close enough for him to grab you, he seems to switch between laughing and crying. Occasionally he mutters unintelligibly.
- Before he grabs you, he is seen carving what appear to be tally marks into the glass window next to him with the scalpel he's holding, and was probably counting the number of patients he might have killed that are in the patient recreation room below.
- ↑ The state of his body seems to suggest that the corpse was attacked by a Puker, which is unusual behavior for a Necromorph, given that they normally totally ignore bodies that are already dead but have not been infected yet