Enhanced Necromorphs are a sub-breed of the Necromorph infection. While no reason has been given in the games to why some Necromorphs are enhanced, they are featured in all Dead Space games.
All Enhanced Necromorphs feature the same universal attacks and habits as their basic form. Enhanced Necromorphs, however, are stronger and possess greater health, resulting in a greater number of limbs needing to be severed before death and an increase in the damage of their attacks.
While their physical shapes are identical to the normal variants of each Necromorph, Enhanced Necromorphs are either black or slimy dark green with yellow glowing eyes. This dark coloration will often make them much harder to spot, especially in darker areas such as the corridors in the USG Ishimura and the bunkers on Tau Volantis.
The following Necromorphs have Enhanced variants:
- Exploder (Dead Space (Mobile) only)
- Pregnant (Dead Space (Mobile) only)
- Infector (Dead Space 2 only)
- In Dead Space: Mobile, the Enhanced variants are called "uber" variants.
- Feeders in their Enhanced form are seen first in the belly of The Nexus. This could imply that the larger Necromorphs are somewhat involved in the process of making Enhanced Necromorphs as the Nexus later tries to digest Isaac. They could have also been humans trapped inside them that has become enhanced, which may also explain its ability to spit Necromorphs as seen performed by the Hive Mind in Dead Space. The Hive Mind might have been in the process of converting these Necromorphs into Enhanced-variants but opted to use them against Isaac instead.
- Though most "classic" Necromorphs have seen extensive redesign during later games in the series, their Enhanced variants still retains their original appearance.
- Only Enhanced Slashers receive a visual overhaul since Dead Space, while all other Enhanced Necromorph strains still retains their previous appearance.
- The dog Lurkers are a special case, since they have been completely remodeled in Dead Space 3 and have a new Enhanced-variant model to fit the design.
- It hasn't been yet explained why Enhanced Necromorphs have yellow glowing eyes.
- Enhanced Slashers are the most common encountered Enhanced Necromorphs.