Excreting organic pods that pursue enemies and explode.
Cysts appear to be growths of the Corruption that serve to kill hosts moving through its immediate vicinity. It is capable of excreting undead bombs that will explode when they hit the floor or an object. They are not capable of distinguishing between human hosts, inanimate objects and Necromorphs, and will eject their bomb if any object comes within range.
The Pods that The Cyst 'spit out' can be grabbed in air with Kinesis; The Pods can then be launched back at the Cysts, or any other object/Necromorph.
- One strategy is to turn your back to the Cyst when you have found it and slowly walk backwards to it. As soon as you hear it launch the mine, sprint straight forward to avoid the explosion. The Stasis Module can help with this.
- An alternate strategy is to just walk slowly towards the Cyst and when you hear it barely launch the Explosive Pod, run backwards at full speed and if you do it correctly, most of the time you'll be fine.
- Throwing any object at the Cyst with the Kinesis will cause The Cyst to throw out its projectile, usually killing itself if the object hasn't already.
- An Achievement/Trophy, Bouncing Betty, is unlocked by catching the Cyst's Pod and killing it by launching the pod back at it. The Achievement/Trophy name itself refers the actual S-Mine "Bouncing Betty", which was the inspiration for the Cyst's characteristics (the easiest way to accomplish this is to simply stasis the Cyst).
- Cysts can be great to have in any battle, as they provide an unlimited supply of powerful explosive ammunition. Simply bump/hit them with any object in Kinesis and grab the bomb it spits out.
- If grabbed using Kinesis, the Cyst's bomb will growl, gurgle, and thrash at Isaac in a futile attempt to kill him.
- In Dead Space 3, while in space, the Cysts appear larger as opposed to the smaller size while indoors. The same applies the the dog Lurkers.
- Like his battle with the Regenerators Isaac hints his experience, when he and Carver encounter Cysts in Chapter 14 Isaac says "Yeah.. watch your step".