Excreting organic pods that explodes and damages surrounding targets.
Cysts appear to be growths of the Corruption that serve to kill targets moving through its immediate vicinity. It is capable of excreting organic bombs that will explode violently upon impact. Though effective as area-denial defense, they are not capable of distinguishing between human hosts, inanimate objects and Necromorphs, and will eject their bomb should anything come within range, Necromorph or not.
The Pods that the Cyst ejects can be grabbed in air with Kinesis; The Pods can then be launched back at the Cyst, or any other object or Necromorph.
In Dead Space 3: Awakened, there is another variant of the Cyst encountered inside the CMS Terra Nova's power core. These cysts are much larger than standard ones and are apparently indestructible. They don't seem to generate and spit out their bombs when the gravity inside the core is still on.
- One strategy is to turn your back to the Cyst when you have found it and slowly walk backwards to it. As soon as you hear it launch the mine, sprint straight forward to avoid the explosion. The Stasis Module can help with this.
- An alternate strategy is to just walk slowly towards the Cyst and when you hear it barely launch the Explosive Pod, run backwards at full speed and if you do it correctly, most of the time you'll be fine.
- Throwing any object at the Cyst with the Kinesis will cause The Cyst to throw out its projectile, usually killing itself if the object hasn't already.
- Another strategy is to slowly walk up to the Cyst and catch the mine with Kinesis. Once caught, you can throw it back to the Cyst which will kill it instantly.
The Cyst does not have a death scene of its own, but should Isaac/Gabe/Carver gets hit by a cyst bomb explosion while low on health, he will be thrown backwards completely dismembered. If Isaac gets killed by a cyst bomb flying through Zero-G, he will be killed with his limbs and head popped off and flung away at great velocity.
- Cysts in game are almost similar to cysts in real life. They both are made of skin tissue, they have some kind of pus-type compound inside them, and they can be very annoying.
- An Achievement/Trophy, Bouncing Betty, is unlocked by catching the Cyst's Pod and killing it by launching the pod back at it. The Achievement/Trophy name itself refers the actual S-Mine "Bouncing Betty", which was the inspiration for the Cyst's characteristics (the easiest way to accomplish this is to simply stasis the Cyst).
- Cysts can be great to have in any battle, as they provide an unlimited supply of powerful explosive ammunition. Simply bump/hit them with any object in Kinesis and grab the bomb it spits out.
- If grabbed using Kinesis, the Cyst's bomb will growl, gurgle, and thrash at Isaac in a futile attempt to kill him.
- In Dead Space 3, while in space, the Cysts appear larger as opposed to the smaller size while indoors. The same applies to the dog Lurkers.
- Like his battle with the Regenerators Isaac hints his experience, when he and Carver encounter Cysts in Chapter 14 Isaac says, "Yeah.. watch your step".