|Welcome to Sprawl|
|Game:||Dead Space 2|
|Next Chapter:||I Need Transportation|
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 1: Where Am I?. See Chapter 1: Where Am I?/Walkthrough.|
At the start of the game, Isaac was seen being questioned about the events that transpired on the USG Ishimura three years ago on a space station called The Sprawl. Upon being questioned, Isaac suddenly saw the visions of his dead girlfriend, Nicole and many of the other monstrosities that he saw aboard the Ishimura in Dead Space which caused him to black out. Isaac woke up an unknown amount of time later to be informed by Franco, the protagonist of Dead Space: Ignition that he was in 'grave danger'. Franco was killed by an Infector, turning him into a Slasher. After making his way through the hospital section of the Sprawl and witnessing many of the horrors of the Necromorph attack, Isaac was contacted by Daina who informed Isaac that they need to meet because the dementia that he developed on Aegis VII would kill him.
After being interrogated on the events of the USG Ishimura, Isaac Clarke soon awoke in a straightjacket with Franco waking him. But, he was soon shaken awake when a Necromorph transformed Franco into a Slasher. Isaac was soon on the run again as multiple inmates of the asylum transformed into Necromorphs.
Narrowly escaping with his life, Isaac must find a way out of his straightjacket. He soon encountered the two security officers that immediately shot at him, but they are killed and dragged into a ceiling vent by an unknown Necromorph. Isaac proceeded carefully as the bodies of the officers are thrown from the next air vent.
Isaac entered a room to find Foster Edgars who threatened to kill him, but soon released Isaac from his restraints. He gave him a flashlight and a small Health Pack before violently slitting his own throat with a scalpel.
Isaac proceeded to a surgery room by taking an air duct route. There, he found a Kinesis Module and some metal rods. Isaac was able to break out of the surgery room by smashing the windows with Kinesis and must subsequently defeat several Necromorphs using only thrown objects.
Continuing through the Medical Bay, he found a restrained Necromorph and a man in a surgical device. The man was about to be operated with a tissue cutter before the Necromorph outbreak. Isaac tried to free the man, but failed as a Necromorph entered the room and killed the man. Left with no choice, Isaac pulled the tissue cutter out and jury-rigged it with his flashlight to create a modified (And possibly better) Plasma Cutter and used it to kill the Slasher.
Isaac would meet a man named Nolan Stross. He urged Isaac to follow him, but due to Stross having a head start, they got separated by a quarantine door that closed off as Isaac was about to enter. Stross told Isaac to keep moving as the door closed. Meanwhile, Daina contacted Isaac and was horrified to learn that Isaac missed his opportunity to escape. Isaac argued that he did not need her help before being attacked by a horde of Necromorphs. Realizing that the situation was out of control, Isaac decided to accept Daina's instructions and she plotted a new path for Isaac.
Isaac proceeded to a room which contained several Stasis beds. He hacked one of the beds and pulled the Stasis Module out within it, only to be immediately attacked by a Necromorph security guard. Fortunately, the hacked Stasis bed overloaded and froze the attacking Necromorph, giving Isaac enough time to finish it off.
Isaac found a Store where he changed into his old Engineering Suit before proceeding to the marked area. He subsequently encountered a Tripod and was forced to fight it before heading up to another air duct.
- When Isaac was being questioned, you could see that a model of the "USG Ishimura" and a Rubix Cube with red markings are on the table in front of him. One of the ink blots in the Dementia Trailer could also be seen on the table.
- The Slasher that appeared in the Triage Room could kill you in one hit, no matter how high that your health was, what RIG that you wore and no matter how much that it was upgraded. The Slasher was also invulnerable. After it's initial Stasis from hacking the machine, you must manually use Stasis again in order to kill it.
- In the room where you got the Plasma Cutter, you had infinite ammo in that room and that room only. Once you left, you no longer had infinite ammo, even if you went back inside the room.
- According to John Calhoun, the associate producer at Visceral Games, the faces and diagnostics of the other Marker test subjects in the Diagnostics Room are all members of the UI development team.
- In the room where you got the Plasma Cutter, there would be a microscope on one of the counters in the center room. If you threw this at the man on the table, it would dismember him though he would strangely still talk and move as before.
- In the room where there was a lockdown with Stross, if you are quick to get around the corner, you could see Stross fall through the floor.
- At one point as you are walking, if you looked on a counter, you could see one of the ink blots from the Dementia Trailer.
- On some of the X-rays, you could see the Visceral Games logo inside the skulls.
- In the room where Isaac was freed by Edgars, on a nearby counter, there was an "Ishimura" Journal.
- In the room where Isaac got his first suit, there was a weighing machine. If Isaac stood on it, the machine would indicate that Isaac weighed 195 pounds (Almost 89 kg). When Isaac put his suit on, he weighed 239 pounds. Also, if on New Game+, different suits would have different weights (e.g. the Elite Engineering Suit would cause you to weigh 255 pounds).
- When you entered the dark room right after you got the flashlight, if you looked closely to the right, you could see in the table a drawing of an eye bleeding, foreshadowing what would happen in Chapter 13.
- The Tripod was encountered for the first time in this Chapter.
- The Puker was introduced in this Chapter.