|Place:||Aegis VII Colony|
|Previous Chapter:||Alternate Solutions|
|Objective:|| Return the Marker
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 12: Dead Space. See Chapter 12: Dead Space/Walkthrough.|
Isaac and Nicole traveled together to the surface of Aegis VII and returned the Marker back to it's pedestal in an attempt to end the Necromorph threat once and for all. As Isaac took the Red Marker off the shuttle and proceeded to return it to the pedestal which it was removed, he met the former colonists of Aegis VII and they would not make his duty any easier.
Chapter 12 took place in the illegal CEC mining colony on Aegis VII. Isaac Clarke and his girlfriend, Nicole Brennan took the Executive Shuttle (That Isaac previously repaired in Chapter 10: End of Days) containing the Marker to the colony in order to contain The Hive Mind - the telepathic commander of all of the Necromorphs. Isaac as he was instructed by Nicole used his Kinesis Module to slot the loader into position and unloaded the Marker. Isaac slid the Marker along a set of tracks on the Landing Pad while traveling along a parallel walkway, but was stopped because the door to Operations A was missing a power cell. Isaac found a replacement in the Gravity Tether Computer Room, but was ambushed by the Infectors and a Divider when he attempted to insert it into the relevant socket. Nicole told him that the Marker created a 'dead space' field that suppressed any nearby Necromorphs and the scientists created a podium that amplified the effect radius years ago. The Hive Mind could be suppressed if the Marker was placed on this podium. Isaac activated a monitor that raised a shutter that was blocking the Marker tracks and brought it into Gravity Tether Operations A. A quarantine activated and Isaac battled the Necromorphs while raising some bridges that are blocking the tracks. After the quarantine lifted, Isaac raised another shutter and brought the Marker into the Gravity Tether Core. Nicole told him to restore the power to the bridge switches by using a Control Station at the back of a Maintenance Tube. The Tube was protected by a pair of Guardians and had no gravity. Isaac killed some Enhanced Leapers and Lurkers before restoring the power to the bridge switches using Kinesis. However, this also restored the power to the Tube fans which Isaac had to hit with Stasis before passing.
When Isaac returned to the Gravity Tether Core, an Enhanced Brute attacked him, but that did not stop him from raising the bridges and dragging the Marker to Tether Operations B and into the Excavation Site. He arrived just in time to catch a glimpse of the colossal tentacles of the Hive Mind before several Drag Tentacles attacked. They are followed swiftly by the Twitchers and the Enhanced Lurkers and the Slashers which he killed and pulled the Marker along a narrow walkway. When Isaac finally loaded the Marker onto it's pedastal, it emitted an unusual glow and Nicole emerged from behind it. She said that they are 'whole again' and mysteriously vanished as the Marker released a bright flash. This flash disabled the gravity tethers that are holding a huge continent sized piece of the planet in place, but when Isaac tried to return to the shuttle, he was locked in a chamber by Kendra.
Kendra exited her escape pod that she launched in Chapter 11 and removed the Marker right before Isaac's eyes. She revealed that Isaac was insane and to prove it, she showed him the video log that Isaac watched at the beginning of the game. Only this time, it played right to the end. At the end of the video, Nicole committed suicide and Isaac realized that every time that he saw her on the Ishimura, it was only an apparation of the Marker. The truth was that the Marker tried to convince him to return it to the podium. The Marker appeared to have a subconscious mind of it's own. Kendra left with the Marker and the exit door finally unlocked. Isaac took this door through a corridor, through the Gravity Tether Computer Room and into The Landing Pad just in time to intercept Kendra. The tremors caused by the falling debris caused Isaac to fall over and just as it looked like Kendra would escape on the shuttle, a tentacle of the Hive Mind squashed her and slammed her against a wall which killed her as a flatlining RIG was heard.
Since Kendra removed the Marker from it's podium, Isaac was forced to kill the monster with his weapons rather than suppressing it. Isaac shot the five yellow lumps around it's 'mouth' as it tried to devour him and shot the five in it's 'chest'. While this happened, Isaac also had to kill the Pregnants while avoiding the volatile projectiles that the Hive Mind launched at him. After a strenuous battle, the Hive Mind collapsed and it's tentacle retracted allowing Isaac to enter the shuttle. Isaac left the Marker behind and escaped just in time to see the debris crash into the planet.
Some time passed after this. Isaac removed his helmet and reminisced as his shuttle drifted through space. He began to watch Nicole's transmission, but could not bear to watch the end. He switched all of the monitors off, but he saw something in his peripheral vision. As he looked to his right, Nicole attacked him. The screen cut to white and the credits rolled.
- Enhanced Slashers.
- Enhanced Leapers.
- Enhanced Brute.
- Lurkers/Enhanced Lurkers.
- The Hive Mind.
- This was the only Chapter that you played on Aegis VII.
- When Isaac found out that Nicole was dead, he could be seen putting his head in his hand which was one of the few times that he showed an emotional response to what he saw in the game.
- There was an error made in the cutscene where Isaac got up and was surrounded by one of the Hive Mind's tentacles. If Isaac had a different gun equipped other than the Plasma Cutter, his hands would be positioned as if he was holding the Plasma Cutter. This occurred even if Isaac went into the battle unarmed. (Possible by depositing all weapons in the safe prior to the fight.)
- If you are not careful, when you killed the Hive Mind, it would fall over and if you are close enough, it would smash you, forcing you to redo the entire battle.
- Isaac's face could be seen for the second and final time in the game.
- The game ended with Isaac removing his helmet which mirrored how the game started with Isaac putting it on and watching the recording of Nicole, but he turned it off and started looking to the right where he saw the apparition of Nicole who attacked him which mirrored the same scene in Dead Space: Downfall which Jennifer Barrow attacked her husband.
- You would be awarded 50K Credits, 10 Power Nodes, Level 6 Suit(Advanced Soldier RIG) and you would unlock Impossible Mode.
- Completing this Chapter on any difficulty earned you the "Exodus" achievement/trophy.